The Communications team at Greystar is a fast-paced, energetic group that serves as the voice of Greystar and drives strategic communications on behalf of the business across internal and external platforms.
We're looking for a senior communications professional to join our team to spearhead US external communications. This individual is a proven professional with strong media relationships across the real estate and private equity industries and a demonstrated track record of executing external communications campaigns. As a thought leader, this individual will leverage their extensive experience to lead Greystar's media engagement activities in the United States and support the strategy in our other global markets, with a heavy focus on our investment management business.
The successful candidate will report into Liza Kunkel, Global Head of Communications, and will work closely alongside Greystar's regional corporate affairs leads.
Specifically, the ideal candidate will be able to jump in and support the team in four core areas:
Implementing external strategic roadmap: Reporting to the Global Head of Communications, this team member will lead the existing Enterprise Services US external communications team to deliver a unified and proactive communications strategy.
Leveraging personal media relationships and expertise: Bring to the organization a strong network of financial and real estate media relations, and a background in delivering best-in-class proactive coverage on company priorities.
Meeting the needs of current B2B brand while evolving to meet future B2C needs: Support the current business priorities of managing B2B focus while crafting, and ultimately delivering on, a B2C communications strategy.
Align US agencies and other external communications teams to deliver on strategy: Lead the strategy for a network of US agencies and ensure alignment across the other communications teams within the business lines and other geographies.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ years of experience in real estate and financial external communications
- Track record of developing and maintaining key contacts in media and industry
- Strong leadership skills and proven success in building high-energy teams, creating and articulating clear strategy and direction, and fostering collaboration and synergy
- Experience working with large global organizations with a range of communications priorities
- Experience managing a team of global communications professionals and agencies
- A team-oriented and 'get the job done' mentality with a willingness to jump in on a full range of communications needs
- Ability to confidently advise senior executives across the business on communications priorities and strategies to deliver on the business needs
- Creative mindset that is nimble enough to push the company forward while recognizing the importance of bringing key stakeholders along
- Ability to turn ideas into proactive media coverage in target titles
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver excellent work to tight deadlines
- Drive to broaden knowledge and contact base through networking
- Experience with communication technologies including Microsoft Office 365, media monitoring services, newswires, and databases
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Implement a proactive and unified strategy for US and emerging markets, as well as tie into the global external strategy
- Maintain and deliver on proactive external communications calendar and define thought leadership topics, messaging, and briefings to ensure Greystar is viewed as an innovative market leader
- Build and manage positive relationships with a broad range of media including trade, national, and consumer across both traditional and digital platforms with the aim of delivering on strategic coverage
- Lead, organize, and attend press interviews, events, and trips with Greystar spokespeople
- Attend and contribute to industry groups, conferences, etc. focused on Real Estate Communications
- Contribute to the management of the PR budget for external relations at the Enterprise Services level and ensure budgets are put in place at a venture and asset level
- Lead external communication strategy as Greystar evolves from a B2B to B2C brand
- Help to navigate any issues and identify risk areas to protect Greystar's reputation in the industry by managing crisis communications including planning, drafting statements, correspondence, and media liaison
Greystar is a leading, fully integrated global real estate company offering expertise in property management, investment management, development and construction services in institutional-quality rental housing, logistics, and life sciences sectors. Headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina, Greystar manages and operates over $250 billion of real estate in 227 markets globally with offices throughout North America, Europe, South America, and the Asia-Pacific region. Greystar is the largest operator of apartments in the United States, manages over 794,000 units/beds globally, and has a robust institutional investment management platform comprised of more than $62 billion of assets under management, including approximately $26 billion of development assets. Greystar was founded by Bob Faith in 1993 to become a provider of world-class service in the rental residential real estate business.
Salary: $180-210k. The compensation rate will vary based on education, experience, skills, and geographic location, as applicable.
The base compensation rate will vary based on education, experience, skills, and geographic location, as applicable.
Greystar seeks to attract, recruit, advance and retain top talent. Greystar's compensation strategy is tailored to appropriately reward the skillset and experience that a team member will bring to the organization.
Depending on the position offered, regular full-time and part-time team members may be eligible to participate in a bonus program in addition to their salary. Team members may also participate in the 401k plan, once eligible. Regular, full-time team members are offered a range of medical, financial, and other benefits from which to choose.
For Union and Prevailing Wage roles compensation and benefits may vary from the listed information above due to Collective Bargaining Agreements and/or local governing authority.
Greystar will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.