Founded in 1986, Asset Living is a true third-party property management firm with decades of experience delivering exceptional value to partners across the nation. As a leader in third-party property management, Asset Living is the fourth largest in the country (National Multifamily Housing Council's Top 50) and remains the No. 1 third-party student housing property manager in the U. S. for 11 years in a row (Student Housing Business). With over 36 years of experience, Asset Living's growing portfolio includes a multitude of properties across the country that span the multi-family, single-family home rentals, affordable housing, build-to-rent, active adult, and student housing divisions. Asset Living presently manages a portfolio consisting of approximately 175,000+ units and 125,000+ beds. Asset Living is a family made up of diverse backgrounds, unique ideas, and distinct personalities. Recognized as one of the nation's Best and Brightest Places to Work, professionals join Asset Living because of its reputation as the most trusted partner in real estate, workplace culture, and growth opportunities. Asset Living is a member of The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) and is recognized as an Accredited Management Organization (AMO).
The SVP of Property Accounting is a key Asset Living senior management team member. This position reports to the CFO and is responsible for the oversight of Asset Living s Property Accounting function. The SVP of Property Accounting leads the entirety of the property accounting function, whose primary purpose is the on-time and accurate delivery of 1,250+ accrual and cash-based financial statements while maintaining the highest levels of customer service and lowest cost structure. This includes the recruitment, training, development, and prioritization of the 200+ staff reporting to this position. In addition to the controllership of Property Accounting, this position provides strategic leadership, counsel, and direction to ensure exceptional client service that aligns with Asset Living s vision, mission, and values. Accountabilities include extensive collaboration with key functions, including corporate accounting, business development, transitions and integrations, operations, treasury, data analytics, human resources, and legal.
The position requires a continuous process improvement mindset and accounting leadership to proactively analyze, frame, and implement recommended strategies to CFO and other key stakeholders to optimize accounting processes/structure, mitigate risks, ensure sufficient liquidity, and drive efficiency in decision-making and business process. This position requires a hands-on leader who will roll up their sleeves, set the pace, and lead by example. This individual will partner across Finance and cross-functionally to support process transformation by streamlining, standardizing, and automating processes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensuring financial statement integrity and driving operational excellence in closing and reporting processes to provide timely and accurate information to internal and external stakeholders
- Work with the CFO to fulfill the broad-reaching strategic implementation of proactive programs, operational improvements, communication, and other general management responsibilities.
- Streamline practices for financial reports and treasury functions, ensuring proper communication with clients and operations team members
- Drive consistency and process standardization across the Asset Living regions.
- Drive enhancements to the Asset Living control environment to mitigate key risks.
- Integrate information technology systems to provide meaningful, timely information and analysis
- Develop and execute operating plans:
- Track metrics and success criteria, including accurate and timely delivery of financial statements
- Review, analyze, and address gaps in service excellence, internal controls, policies, and procedures; proactively identify issues and implement solutions
- Integrate the accounting and treasury functions of acquisitions.
- Compare new technologies to traditional methods and utilize best-in-class technology and practices to drive the business forward.
- Build and maintain a knowledgeable and skilled team who execute in accordance with Asset Living s vision, mission, and values
- Oversight of all property finance and accounting operations, including billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, revenue recognition, and cash management, and ensuring that the books are closed in accordance with the Company s internal guidelines
- Lead the teammate development processes and succession planning through performance management, mentoring, coaching, training, and modeling appropriate leadership behaviors
- Develop, motivate, and retain top talent, and provide a high level of mentorship to create and maintain a best-in-class collaborative environment and timely, optimal problem-solving
- Set standards of excellence and make improvements to processes, efficiencies, technology, and talent management
- Responsible for communicating a plan of resolution when service levels are not achieved
- Partner cross-functionally with Operations, Systems, IT, Legal, Treasury, Corporate Accounting, FP&A, and Employee Success to support the success of the business
- Support M&A in the areas of due diligence, onboarding/offboarding of properties, and post-merger integration activities
- Develop, maintain, and support strategy and relationships with key finance and accounting third-party service providers and professionals.
- Maintain knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Collaborate with the Treasury Department to support strategic banking and Treasury Management-related initiatives.
- Build analytical capabilities and develop a high-performing team with deep subject matter expertise.
- Participate in budget and forecasting activities.
- Prepare KPIs and presentations for senior management and the Board of Directors
- Perform other duties as directed by Chief Financial Officer
Education & Experience
- 15+ years experience in accounting at a real estate/property management company with 10+ years in a leadership role managing large teams of accounting professionals
- Deep knowledge of and proficiency with current accounting rules, compliance, and technical accounting; maintains a bias toward adopting best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to drive corporate transformation, process improvement, automate manual processes and/or system improvements and lead with purpose through periods of change.
- Hands-on leader with good communication skills, a results-oriented collaborative style, and a proven track record leading, delegating, and growing teams.
- Detail-oriented and capable of prioritizing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present effectively to clients and all levels of management, including private equity sponsors, corporate executives, Operation Team Leaders, and external service providers and stakeholders.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to execute initiatives while balancing daily objectives
- Demonstrated comfort in making decisions in a dynamic, fast-paced, and high-volume environment.
- Results-oriented, professional energy, poise, and self-confidence
- Familiarity with financial regulations and laws, such as GAAP and financial reporting requirements
- Experience with ERPs and property management systems, particularly Real Page, Yardi, and Entrada, a plus
This job description should not be considered all-inclusive. It is merely a guide of expected duties. The employee understands that the job description is neither complete nor permanent and may be modified at any time. At the request of their supervisor, an employee may be asked to perform additional duties or take on additional responsibilities without notice.